Did you know you can get the high-end look of aluminum and metals in single-process plastic extrusions? United Plastic Components (UPC) produces metallic finish plastic profiles — they look identical to aluminum, but they’re plastic. In the past to get a good quality metallic finish a secondary process was required (lamination/profile wrapping). We’ve produced a variety of forms and styles for several of our customers. Here are some photos of examples:
Using plastic extrusions as replacements for aluminum surfaces can be beneficial for manufacturers in all industries: You get the look of aluminum, or the look of a powdered coated metal finish, without the cost. At UPC, the process we use to do this is perfect for several different types of products and applications where the strength of metal is not required, but where plastic components that look like metal components can play an important role in product design and appearance.
Some examples include:
- Point-of-purchase displays – an affordable option that provides the look of high-end luxury.
- Products with electrical wiring – when using aluminum or any type of metal isn’t an option.
- Trim or furniture components – anyplace where the structure of metal is not required, but the look of aluminum or metal enhances product design.
- Durable surfaces that can endure scratches – the metallic pigment is added to the base resin in a single process, so the metallic look is consistent throughout the plastic piece and can’t be scratched off (unlike painted or coated plastic pieces).
- Products that require shipping – plastic extrusions are lighter than metal extrusions and therefore more economical to ship.
The savings you can obtain by using plastic components as a replacement for metal components are substantial. One of our clients says they save 40% on production costs by using this process with us. We’d welcome the opportunity to work with you too so you can see the same type of savings with metallic finish plastic profiles from UPC.
Here at United Plastic Components, we’re proud to say that we utilize our own Tool & Die department, and use only high-quality stainless steel when we manufacture extrusion dies and punches. Some of our downstream equipment is internally designed and manufactured for custom projects to meet the specific needs of any company, at any time.
Tool and die is a very integral part of our operation. We design and develop fabrication equipment capable of machining, routing, punching, notching and cutting some simple and some complex plastic parts used in the automotive, appliance, and construction industries. The extrusion dies and equipment are designed and manufactured to ensure customer profiles and finished parts are to customer specifications in a timely manner. That’s our expertise at UPC.
We’ll stick with you throughout the life of the production process. That means creating the tooling and making the adjustments necessary to get the profile to your specifications. Once the profiles are approved, we will run production. We make it our priority to complete your project as quickly as possible – but of course, timing of completion depends on the size, complexity of the profile, and the tooling/downstream equipment needed to complete the job.
Our tool & die makers are licensed, and take pride in what they do:
- Preventative inspections
- We have an in-house die polisher that will ensure that the die is clean and polished before production, and we will inspect it again after the run.
- Rebuild or refurbish as necessary
- If the die wears out over time, we will refurbish the tooling for you.
- Inventory preservation
- We maintain the tooling, and make sure it’s ready to use when we receive customer orders.
When it comes to tooling, we know it’s a significant investment in your project. So, UPC wants to help preserve your die and tooling throughout its entire production life! Give us a call at 519-235-2867 or visit the tool and die page on our website today. We’d love to let you know how we can help.
Now that you know United Plastic Components, we want to give you a better understanding of our capabilities – by industry. Since our founding in 1971, we’ve provided custom solutions for a variety of different companies, in multiple industries. Our plastic extrusions are used in the Automotive, Agricultural, Windows and Doors, and Point of Purchase sectors – to name a few.
Take a look at what we can do by industry:
- For the Automotive industry, we have created a diverse range of OEM and Aftermarket products including running board covers made of Santoprene, exterior and interior trim pieces, gaskets and seals and fuel tank straps.
- Some of the country’s largest farms rely on UPC. Our plastic components can be used for crucial venting products on pig and chicken farms, hydroponic troughs as well as for the flooring of barns and walkways.
Windows and Doors
- All commercial and residential buildings need windows and doors. Our plastic extrusions can be found in frames for windows and doors across the nation. We provide the tooling design engineering, tooling and production for simple and complex custom projects.
Point of Purchase Display
- These multi-faceted extrusions are a critical part of almost every retail establishment. UPC knows the importance of having high-quality, eye-catching designs – and we’re here to help you create it. We have produced small functional parts that blend in to the store environment up to large format Aisle Directory and End Cap signs that puts the product details and pricing front and center.
While these are four parts of our business, it is important to note that UPC can customize parts for anything imaginable. No one can match our competitive prices and quick turnaround time, in addition to the expertise of working with exotic compounds that other companies do not offer.
Learn more about what UPC can do for you! Give us a call or send us an email and one of our plastic component experts will answer all your questions today.
From our origination in 1971, United Plastic Components has grown to become a leader in custom plastic profile extrusion. We have developed an extremely diverse client base as a result of our high-quality extruded product and service line. As experts in the development of plastic extruded shapes and profiles, we can produce a variety of products from simple tubes and channels to complex co-extruded profiles.
Originally a satellite company, our primary objective was to service the needs of a local door and window manufacturer. Four decades later, we’ve been a great resource for up-to-date trends in technology, and have made ourselves available to an array of industries and thousands of unique businesses. As an ISO 9001 certified company, our services now cover the full range of the manufacturing industry including products for swimming pools, the automotive, agricultural, appliance and construction industries to name a few. In fact, our sales have tripled from 1990 until today.
United Plastic Components prides itself in being active in the community. We’re active in the South Huron Business Improvement Association, and provide plant tours for high school students interested in working in the manufacturing industry.
Our current employees receive extensive training to ensure that our clients receive top-of-the line service. We have an in-house training program that teaches our extruders the complexities of plastics, tooling, and machine operation. Our employee retention rate is extremely high, the average 16 years, and we are extremely confident in our corporate knowledge base.
For more information on United Plastic Components, our capabilities, product offerings, or to view samples of our work, please visit www.upcinc.com or call 519-235-2867!